In this one-week class we start with raw lumber, and in five days cut and raise two 24' x 24' timber frames by hand. The days are spent on site designing, cutting, and raising a post and beam frame. You will learn to select, use, and care for a complete set of timber framing tools. After the sharpening workshop you'll be able to shave with your chisels. In five short days, you will turn fresh lumber into a carefully crafted house frame and leave knowing how to cut and build your own. Tools are now included with the price of tuition.
Tools included with course:
- Silky Zorin Timber Frame Saw
- 1-1/2-in Beveled Timber Framing Chisel by Barr or Robert Sorby
- 2-in Beveled Timber Framing Chisel by Barr or Robert Sorby
- 1-7/8-Slick by Robert Sorby
- The Shelter Sharpening Kit of float glass with fine and coarse grit sandpaper and a leather strop
- Abrasive Powder for Strop
- Wood-is-Good Mallet 30 oz
- 12-in Combination Square
- Aluminum Rafter Square (this is not the best tool for the job but it will do; our favorite is the SHINWA Framing Square)
- Pocket Plane by Kunz
- Tape Measure Fat Max 35-ft
- Utility Knife
- Extra-Long Tool Bag
- Veritas MK II Honing Guide
If you are looking to register multiple people for this class you must make the quantity equal to the number of people you are trying to register. We will apply the "couples rate" to your remaining balance.
This price is for the deposit only. The total price of this course is $2,000 per person or $3,500 total for couples(2). The remaining balance after your deposit must be paid by the time the class starts. You can call and pay anytime or pay once you arrive for the class.
The registration deposit which is added to your online cart is non-refundable. The tuition balance is due the first day of class. This registration fee can be transferred once at no charge. A second request for transfer will incur a $100 transfer fee and a third request for transfer will result in the loss of deposit. All deposits on tuition and tuition payments are non-refundable. If you cancel within three weeks of the start of any class you will forfeit your complete deposit.