Discover how to create unique and beautiful canes that will be treasured as useful works of art!
- 4 detailed step-by-step tutorials for creating expressive canes
- 6 joinery methods for strong and durable joints between cane topper and staff
- Expert advice on carving expressive cane toppers from basswood blocks
- Useful tips for adding joint covers, hand grips, and custom features
- Using found wood, how to source and prepare staffs, and a guide to basic cane construction techniques
Legendary carving artist Lora S. Irish introduces you to all the essential components and techniques of cane topper carving in this comprehensive guide.
Chock full of important tips and tricks, Cane Topper Woodcarving will teach you how to take full advantage of this fun and rewarding carving genre.
With step-by-step projects, ready-to-use patterns, and beautiful color photographs, Lora provides expert advice on sourcing, carving, joinery, finishing, customization, and more.
This complete cane-carving handbook includes:
- Harvesting Staffs
- Common Tree Species
- Preparing a Staff
- Joinery Basics
- Hardware Joint Options
- Working with Bamboo
- Easy Tape Clamp
- Wrapping Basics
- Simple Leather Grip Wrapping
- Cord Wrapping
- Lanyard Wrapping
- More Joint Ideas
- "What If" Bags
- Additional Wood
- Wire Elements
- Cane Tips
- Personalized Grips
Topper Carving Basics:
- Getting Started
- Basic Cuts
- Wood Grain Direction
- Planning Your Cane
- GI Joe Mushroom Topper: Carving the Planes of the Face
- Wood Spirit Topper
- Tiki Topper
- Twistie Snake Topper
- Bonus Projects
You'll also find patterns for the projects as well as 40 additional patterns for when you're ready to start carving cane toppers on your own!
Learn how to carve canes with character, with Cane Topper Woodcarving Projects!