Enter the fascinating world of spoon carving!
- 45 full-size patterns with dozens of mix-and-match designs including Celtic knots, hearts, words, flowers, and more
- Step-by-step instructions for carving your first spoon and a Welsh Love Spoon
- Practical tips on tools, sharpening, safety, wood, sanding, and finishing
- Inspiring photo gallery of beautifully carved spoons
- Short history on the Welsh Love Spoon and an introduction to Scandinavian spoon-making
Carving Spoons, Revised Second Edition is your introduction to the fascinating world of these hand-crafted objects of utility and sentiment!
Spoons make fun, simple projects that develop your carving creativity and self-expression. Classic in simplicity of form, spoons can be carved in an endless assortment of shapes ranging from primitive to traditional to contemporary. In many cultures, love spoon designs also carry specific meanings for courtship, marriage, and even how many children you desire!
This book shows how to elevate the humble wooden spoon from a utilitarian object to a love token or a work of art! Spoon carving instructor Shirley Adler will get you started making beautiful spoons to keep for yourself or give away. All you need are a few small scraps of wood and some common carving tools.
Shirley provides step-by-step instructions for shaping the bowl and adding detail to the handle with two start-to-finish carving demonstrations. She offers a thorough introduction to carving basics, from selecting tools and materials to making models, transferring patterns, sanding, finishing, and handling mistakes.
45 ready-to-use patterns offer dozens of mix-and-match designs for both beginning and experienced carvers. A colorful photo gallery features a gorgeous selection of finished spoons, while an introduction to Welsh and Scandinavian spoon carving traditions, history, and symbolism provides a rich context for this historical craft.
Get started carving your own beautiful spoons, with Carving Spoons, Revised Second Edition!