First published in 2002, Living Wood is both a practical manual and an inspirational guide, updating much of the information included in Mike's best-selling book Green Woodwork.
Living Wood covers:
• Becoming a green woodworke--Mike's story, from playing in the woodlands to owning a share in a woodland in Herefordshire
• Buying, managing, and harvesting a woodland;
• Developing woodland facilities, including tracks, steps, huts, a barn, a kitchen, and a compost toilet
• Setting up a woodland workshop--plans for a shelter and updated designs for a shaving horse, a pole lathe, and other green wood-working tools and devices
• Making ladder-back chairs, including cleaving, steam-bending, and techniques for ultra-tight joints without glue
• Seating chairs with bark and with cord
• A comprehensive list of suppliers, woodland organizations, and books
Now in its fourth edition, Living Wood includes a selection of photographs of Mike’s latest workshop at Brookhouse Wood.