Tim Matson surveys an often overlooked aspect of independent living―firelight.In this completely revised and updated classic, Matson describes in lively detail all the elements of firelight―beginning with an explanation of the lighting system he developed from his Vermont home.
• The romantic history and modern molding of candlepower
• Traditional kerosene lamps
• The versatile Aladdin
• Liquid propane (LP) gas lights
• Kerosene and gas pressure lanterns (the Coleman)
• Incandescent mantle safety
• The "Return of Firelight" from glass-fronted hearths and stoves
In addition, Matson shows how to select, assemble, install, and safely maintain these non-electric sources of light. This guide will be indispensable for vacation homes, camps, boats, RVs, independent homesteads―and anywhere in a blackout.