How to find -- and finance -- the dream waterfront retreat
The demand for waterfront getaways has never been stronger. Whether as a first-time buyer or a long-time owner moving to a different stage of life, The Cottage Ownership Guide will help readers make the most of their investment. It's packed with solid, easy-to-understand advice that will smooth the financial aspects of ownership -- from finding and buying the perfect cottage to selling it or handing it down to the next generation. Hundreds of expert tips (and cautions), sample documents, and comprehensive checklists will help minimize unhappy surprises and maximize enjoyment of the cottage.
Author Douglas Hunter has done the homework, identifying potential problems and offering tried-and-true solutions:
- How to choose the right lake or river
- Finding the perfect property to match lifestyle
- Acquiring the right real estate agent
- How to inspect a vacation property
- Cottage surveys
- Financing the purchase
- Co-ownership arrangements, including fractional ownership and time shares
- Strategies for minimizing taxation in the U.S. and Canada
- Trouble-free rentals
- Boosting market appeal when trading up or selling
- How to structure a cottage inheritance to reduce taxes -- and family disputes
- Retiring or relocating full time to the cottage.